b***dy costia again!

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

amanda
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

b***dy costia again!

Post by amanda »

Hi all.
not having a good year first off i had flukes then i had costia now i have it again!
This time it seems to be on my big sanky so so many on the slide.
treated with mgf yesterday so she seems better today also found body fluke on her .
some others affected but no where near as bad as this one.
why do i keep getting it?
Am i not treating correctly?, i used a mix made from the malachite crystals and formaldehyde 35%. Had no end of problems this year , i used blanket answer and the water quality went t*ts up.
Ididnt have much blanket weed either but as the stuff broke down it seemed to create tea leaf like muck that just keeps coming. so have struggled since.
Always seems to be this fish in particular that gets badly affected, it may have a poor immune system that parasites thrive on maybe?
Quite depressed now. Got to get some more formaldehyde as have run out. :cry:
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: b***dy costia again!

Post by Gazza »

Hi Amanda,

It seems there has been a lot of trouble all round this year with many having problems with one thing or another :shock:

Yes you are doing the correct treatment the only thing i can think of is are you 100% sure on your water volume ?
amanda
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by amanda »

Hi gazza.
Initially filled the pond via a water meter so should be fairly accurate.i ithink i know why its be cause i used pre mixed which i now realise is basically p***water. the did pick up and i didnt find any thing n the scrape i did after but all i needed was a few survivers and rubbish water from bw treatment to get to anther break out. used mg crystals to make a mix this time and 35% formaldehyde. it was mainlynon the big sanky i have never seen so many every where i looked on the slide.
will give it a second treatment just to make sure. and then do another scrape.
Where can i get some formalin at 35%? several on ebay etc but they dont say the strength. As i have run out.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Amanda,

yes if you was using pre mixed stuff its rubbish and a waste of money so keep with the crystals and mix up when needed.

Try here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Formalin-Form ... 20c781c573
tucker81
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by tucker81 »

i have had my fair share of problems this year, seems the critters are getting tougher, few of my friends have had probs too so your not on your own. dont want to hijack the post, where is the best place to get the crystals from and what dose rates are they?

cheers

tom
amanda
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by amanda »

thanks for the info gazza.
Is it the same formalin can i use it ?
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Amanda,

Yes as far as i know this should be OK i just did a quick search last night.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Amanda,

Or even better as i wasn't sure if it was still available drop Dunc a line as he had some good stuff :D

http://www.koiquest.co.uk/productwithoutcart.html
Kanundra
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Kanundra »

Ahh,

I know the feeling, Costia wiped out over 25 of my 12mths old koi. Caught sleeping sickness and with salt in the tank I couldn't use FMG one hit with miiiions of them on the slide with PP and I have been clear for 2 weeks (fingers crossed) as I don't want it again either.

hope you get them nuked, they are the worst bug ever. :(