red scale

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

tribal-stu
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

red scale

Post by tribal-stu »

hi all i've got a new pond it's been running for over a month with no fish i put a pond bomb in a week before i added 3 fish around 45cm each i got a slight ammonia show so ive been doing water changes ect and checking it daily since i got 4 bay multi bay +fluid bed k1 with 40lts the pond is 2000 gallons running two air stones in the pond 5 in the filters it's been running i'm not new to koi keeping but it's been 10yrs since i owned a pond.the point of this post is i've noticed this on one of my koi the other two seem fine now has the fish done this while transporting it or is it more sinister?
i've got a microscope coming tomorrow so i'll be doing a scrape as soon as i can here's a pic of what i found many thanks Image
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: red scale

Post by Duncan »

hi sorry about the delay I got a bit complacent about the lack of posts

that's the start of a bacterial infection you need to nip that in the bud now while its still young

dunc
tribal-stu
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by tribal-stu »

i thought as much i have treated it with iodine and done a scrape too that came up clear do i need to remove the scale if it progresses Duncan? i did try to find this in your book but i could not see anything that looked like what was in there so i thought i post it on here many thanks
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

stu keep a carful eye on it it may need to come out but like I say just watch

two things, iodine is a bit harsh try mercurochrome or povidone

second did you get under the scales into the pocket the infection starts there not so much on the outside

dunc
tribal-stu
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by tribal-stu »

No I never lifted the scale as I was a little unsure I will check again later and see how things are going then go with what you have advised thanks again