Can anyone help rescue two koi?

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can anyone help rescue two koi?

Post by Manky Sanke »

I have been informed by a lady from lady from Natural England (a Defra sponsored organisation) that a resident near The Whinnies Local Nature Reserve, Middleton St. George, Darlington has concerns about two large koi that have been released into a small 12 ft by 15 ft pond on the nature reserve. Apart from the concerns that the pond freezes over it is also used by dogs as a bathing pool.

Releasing non native species of fish into a natural pond or waterway is illegal under the Wildlife & Countryside Act (1981) so is there anyone local who can go and take a look to see if these koi can be rescued and given a more suitable home? PM me if you can and I'll pass the message on to the lady from Natural England who reported this and she will help with more precise directions.
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can anyone help rescue two koi?

Post by Manky Sanke »

The problem is now solved. Someone local to the area will be going to rescue and rehome them.
Glenn
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Glenn »

Good News Sid
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

Yes indeed Glen,

This has been kicking around with the Local Council since October before it was brought to the attention of the BKKS last week and only came to my attention a couple of days ago. In view of the time that these koi have spent dumped in an unsuitable pond, and having no success contacting anyone in the area who would go, before I thought of putting this on some forums, I was on the verge of saying that I would go but I wasn't looking forward to a near 600 mile round trip that Google estimated at 4½ hours each way without allowance for breaks.