Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Insulation That Can Be Fibreglassed???

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

Im sure someone used some kind of insulation to line there pond that could be fibreglassed without rendering-anyone know what im on about??? If so where can i get some and how do you attach it to the pond walls???

Cheers Andy
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

Polyurethane (spray-on) foam can be used without rendering. Maurice at Koi-uk did so on his pond at home. Here is link to the pages of one of the best looking jobs of insolation I have ever seen

[url]http://www.koi-uk.co.uk/new_pond_page_6.htm[/url]

B.Scott
dave a
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by dave a »

Kingspan foil facesd insulation is the cheapest and can be obtained from most builders merchants in 25mm thickness
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

Thanks Guys for the help
That spray insulation does look the buisness-would of thought that would be popular! Think the kingspan is what i will use though as its only for a very small pond!

Cheers Andy :D
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

We used inch thick 4'x2' sheets from Polyfibre in Birmingham. suspect the Kingspan is a better buy though.

Easy to install and saves rendering; took us about eight hours and provides a great key for fibreglass but make sure you keep it dry after fitting and before glassing.

[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/Dave_222/23703_DSCN2838.JPG[/img]

Regards
Dave
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Dave,

Can i ask how you attached it to the walls? Looks good-does it insulate the pond well?

Regards Andy :D
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

Hi Andy

I used car body filler to attach the foam, half a dozen splodges per sheet, hold for a few seconds and it's fixed.

U can use a glue I think but body filler was the easiest option. Got through 3 large cans at £12 each - see your friendly car paint supplier in the yellow pages and get the cheapest available!

GRP Lining have some helpful info on their site http://www.grpliningservices.co.uk/lining.htm

Thermal qualities are pretty good, I heat by E7 so have to try and keep the heat in during the day and with the covers on don't get big fluctuations.
deggsymann
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by deggsymann »

I used the same foam, but used some mastic i already had quite few tubes of at home to stick it - that stuff sticks anything to anything, but is quite dear for a tube.
Other people have had success with PU glue, again a few dabs in each corner and half a dozen other points, about the size of a 2p coin.
This is a link to the glue one guy gave http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp ... 1&id=79242
although any diy place should do it.

Davej is right about it being easy to do - you can even chamfer strips to make your rounded corners. We probably overkilled it with the mastic we used, but it was 'liberated from work' so it didn't matter how much we used :wink: Heres a link to the foaming bit of my build - it might help somehow. http://www.koivista.com/display_photo.php?p ... &neuron=46
dave339
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by dave339 »

I’m not sure if this is the same type of foam that Maurice used, but this company are selling DIY spray foam kits that might be useful if you have a smaller pond to insulate?

http://www.spray-insulation.co.uk/

Has anyone tried them?

Dave.
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

Ok seriously thinking about kingspan insulation instead of rendering. My worries are how to fix it to the walls but more importantly how do i fill any gaps etc so it can be fibre glassed???

Cheers Andy
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Andy,

I've not seen it, but have heard of it being nailed to the blocks into the morter, with flat head galvanised nails. Have to see if anyone else has heard of this - trying to remember where I saw/read it????
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Bob,

That sounds ok-im just worried about how to fill the gaps that you will get between the joins etc? Can you use expander foam or something similar that can be fibre glassed??

Cheers Andy
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

How about no nails or some adhesive to just stick it on and its easy to cut as you just use a knife or a saw very easy :idea:
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Gazza,

Only thing that worries me is it may not sit dead tight against the walls as they arent quite straight (bricklaying is not my strong point :( ) Just worried it wont sit tight-at least with nails or even screws it might pull it in-or perhaps i could even use both! My main concern is filling the gaps. Will be easy to cut and shape the benching etc :D :D :D And will be cheaper than rendering with the bonus of a heater perhaps :D :D :D (again dont mention that to Emma)

Cheers Andy :D
TerryKoi
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by TerryKoi »

Hi Andy

You can use tape over small gaps, car body filler, mastic, anything really as long as it supports the fibreglass while it cures after that the glass has its own strength