Koi knocked out

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Koifaber
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Koi knocked out

Post by Koifaber »

One of my butterfly koi's jumped and knocked herself out on the winter pond cover that I have still got on. luckily i was there when it happened she sank to the bottom upside down. i got her out quick and she slowly came round and i put her back but then she kept going on her side. i then put her in a bowl with a airstone for a hour and she stayed upright. i have now put her back in the pond but shes not right she stays at the bottom and doesnt move . she looks like she has a bruise on her head. has this happened to anyone before? she is about 22 inchs and one of my best koi , i really dont want to loose her. The water parameters are all ok
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Koi knocked out

Post by Manky Sanke »

Koifaber,

What is the water temperature?
Koifaber
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Koifaber »

The water temperature was 43 f when she did it , I have one other koi about 12" that has laid on its side on the bottom of the pond several times, this has never happened before .
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi

Not sure I will be of much help, but I would say a lot of how the outcome of this will be is dependent upon exactly where she hit herself on the head, my mother once dropped a rock into the pond which unfortunatly hit one of her goldfish on the head, it seemed to of sustained brain damage as she would lay on the bottom on her side then race to the top have a gulp of air and go back down to the bottom. She lived like this for at least 3 years, she also had a funny swimming action. If you are not able to take your Koi out and place in a quaratine set up I think I would be inclined to just leave her and she how she gets one, you could try placing an airstone near to wear she is, but it could be she has just taken a nasty bang to her head and just needs time to recover.

I really hope she improves quickly for you as it is worrying to see a Koi in a bad way.
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

Koifaber,

Kim has it correct. Since it's impossible to determine whether there is any skull damage that might cause a permanent brain injury, the best treatment would be to move her to a quarantine tank with plenty of air and salt at 0.5 oz per gallon. She will either make a full recovery or partial recovery like Kim's mum's goldfish or the condition will prove fatal but giving her the best conditions to help her recover is all you can do.

Koi don't like being isolated , it can cause them to become stressed and stress can kill so, since she won't have anything contagious, it would be a good idea to give her some company, one or maybe two smaller fish. Nothing large that might knock her around as they swim about.

The pond is a little cold for healing so if you don't have quarantine facilities there is little else you can do for her in the pond other than bring the temperature slowly up to around 15°C and maintain it until spring arrives and the temperature stays there naturally.
Koifaber
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Koifaber »

Thank you for your replays, I have put her in quarantine with plenty of airstones and a couple of small koi and she is doing ok, she is now upright all the time and looks good. She just doesn't seem to swim right tho, I don't know how to explain it but she kind of waddles through the water.like you say she might have brain damage but she's still here and improved in the last couple of days so let's hope she keeps improving.
Aqualife2u
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Aqualife2u »

Sorry to hear about your Koi we had the same thing happen to one of our females 2 years ago , her swimming at first was really bad (she had a kind of sideways movement) but after a few months she has got a little better, now he is much better however her swimming movements are definitely different from the other koi in the pond.
Aqualife2u
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Aqualife2u »

Hi yes i would say brain damage, really sad sight as i have had a 13 inch fish jump out of the pond and bang its head on a wall, it was never the same again.