Advice on planning a Waste Chamber with Pump

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Advice on planning a Waste Chamber with Pump

Post by TicToc »

Can anyone advise on building a suitable dump/waste chamber for a new pond project :?:

Current situation: Unable to pump dirty water to main sewage access pipe by gravity so we need to have a pump fed design. Have thought about incorporating a waste water chamber for emptying back washed dirty water from two Nexus 300 straight into same. Not sure how quick water needs to leave Nexus.

My drinking buddy (local plumber) suggests using a Saniflow system - this is a household system for toilets under stairs etc (without using a dump chamber) which churns everything up and sends everything out via 25mm or bigger. No mess he says, but will it have sufficient drop from the Nexus? He assures me the flow is fast.

I am not wholly convinced by this method and would like to take soundings from the Members on how they have got around this problem with their ponds or what they use?

:idea: I would prefer to dig out a chamber (plastic bin or container) with a pump and float which pumps water out on demand. Ideally, I would like drain chamber to become dry and still have access to the pump if this goes wrong. Sounds relatively simple but all ideas appreciated, thanks for reading.

Thanks
TicToc
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Advice on planning a Waste Chamber with Pump

Post by Gazza »

Hi Max,

I pump my waste all round the garden and then down the drain and all the pipes are underground so no smell or getting wet with dirty water :D

You can get a solids handling pump which incorporates a basket (which catches any big stuff) and you just plumb this into the waste line.Then when you want to flush you just open a valve (ball valve is best) so the water starts to move and switch on the pump and job done of with the dirty water. Then all you need to do is clean out the basket if there is any waste.

Here are a pictures for you which may help:

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... 3_1362.jpg[/img]
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

Gazza cheers,

Wow what a clean shed, I could eat my dinner off that floor.

Is that pump one of the AG series pumps. Does it instantly engage when dumping the waste or does it need a minute or so to engage and get going with the water? Assume from configuration the pump is doing another jobs and you divert it?

It's the dumping of the Nexus back washed water quickly out of the system I'm concernd about.

Aye,
TicToc
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Max,

That was the shed when i was building the new pond and it doesn't look like that now :lol:

The Pump is a Marlow one i think but they are the same type i believe.The pump is not automatic i switch it on and off so i have full control.So i open the waste valve and the water starts to make its way through the pump and then i just switch it on and off it goes,then once the vortex is drained i turn it off and fill the vortex back up.

This pump is only on the waste thats all it does just waste water.
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

I've got a concrete waste chamber with a sump pump with float valve sitting in it. I need something open, unlike Gazza, as I have plants in the pond and pebbles and leaves would soon clog the basket! I have a flat hose which I pump all the waste water onto the garden with. However the cheap sump pump is slower than the 1.5" and 2" waste pipes from the filter chambers. Just make sure you have easy access down to the base!

Here's a pic!
[img]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p169/eds ... -Waste.jpg[/img]
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

I have a pump like Gazza and clean out the basket roughly weekly. Works well though, although you dont get the flush through of the Vortex outlet pipe as you would with a chamber like Ed has.
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

Bob Hart wrote:I have a pump like Gazza and clean out the basket roughly weekly. Works well though, although you dont get the flush through of the Vortex outlet pipe as you would with a chamber like Ed has.
I never thought about that! There certainly is a good surge when first opened, especially as the vortex has 2" pipe. I forgot to say I wish I'd made mine deeper though with a smaller deep section for the pump to sit in as I have to hold the float to drain most of the water out. I'm also going to try wrapping lead around the float to get it to drain down more automatically (the lead should make the float sit upright for longer, hopefully).
hoofman
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by hoofman »

i like you have two nexus 300's i sank a 200ltr plastic barrel into the ground and it has a titan 8000 ltr pump in the bottom onto this i connected 1.5 inch flexible pipe underground to waste i wired the pump into my electric box when i flush the nexus i just turn the pump on it keeps up with the flow very well if you live near to any farmers they will only be to glad to let you have a big plastic barrel as they have to pay to get rid of them i would post some pics but i don't know how to on this site hope this helps
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

Gents

So two options; :idea: pump the waste straight out via pump or dump to waste chamber and pump out from there. Clearly the pond pumps are more effective than a domestic saniflow system.

Ed’s waste chamber appears to be more effective for the quick drop/draw out of the system, even though with hindsight, an exact science he wishes his was a bit deeper. How much deeper Ed?

My concern with the Nexus weekly clean of K1 is that the backwash needs to leave quite fast but I don’t have any practical experience of the speed or how much water needs to wash and leave the system? Hoofman - clearly you thought this through at design stage, your waste chamber could be another pond :shock: . How much water do you dump when backwashing?

I'm guessing, working blind on waste chamber capacity if indeed this option was chosen? A 200 litre plastic barrel seems feasible.

Would really appreciate more posts on this? :roll:

Thanks

TicToc
netsukekoi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by netsukekoi »

I have a rectangular plastic water tank - standard from any builders merchants for use in lofts etc - 50 gallons - cost about £25.

It is on the ground in my filter bay and the Nexus and sieve waste plus a couple of overflows all feed into it. (They are higher)

I have a standard Clarke sump pump with float switch (about £100 from Machine Mart) and that is plumbed into 1" pipe which I can route to waste or garden watering (usually the latter).

The trick is to cable tie the float to the body of the pump low enough that it cuts in pretty quickly but still works without problem.

Agreed the Nexus empties faster than the sump, but have never had a sump overflow yet - even when I forget to close the inlet to the Nexus and effectively start to drain the pond through the Nexus into the sump.

This setup is simple, easy and quick to install and so far, pain free and maintenance free.

Martin
hoofman
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by hoofman »

a nexus 300 holds 180 gallons altogether am not sure about the easy i would guess around 40 to 50 gallons when i flush them i usually drain easy so its empty and then repeat process again just to purge the drain :D
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

I normaly use these blue bins with a good float switch pump in capable of handling solids up to 35mm. This one pumps direct to a water collection chamber for irrigation. Does the baskets the world of good.
http://www.jewelspondsandgardens.co.uk/Imag ... ts/242.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jules
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

I don't see you needing it to pump any faster as the waste water will all get pumped out with a pump.When i do my maintenance i just open the valve and pull all the waste out with the pump,i then stop the pump and open the BD valve again to let it fill up and agitate the K1 then do the same again and i have never had any problems.

Well apart from once when i was first converting it and some K1 got sucked up :shock: :roll:

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... G_1676.JPG[/img]

This was when i had some blanket weed :D

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... mal_45.jpg[/img]
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

Thanks for those posts Gents, much appreciated.

I think in our case we will go with the barrel waste chamber idea as we need the fast draw from the Nexus and sieve.

Not sure if anyone has posted piccies on the float triggering the pump but again I would find this helpful?

Thanks
TicToc

PS Gazza once again that floor looked very clean. Did the K1 jam up the pump or did it still keep working?
steveW
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by steveW »

hi , i use an 80litre black plastic dust bin, which i sunk into the ground next to my pod.

i then have a "dirty water pump" (screwfix about £30) sat in the bottom , this then pumps out automaticley when ever i empty my pod into the bin. i connected the output of the pump to standard push fit 40mm pipe to route it to the drain.
you always end up with a little water left in the sump as the float switch will always try and prevent the pump running dry :!:

works a treat :D sorry its a bit dark for photos.