Pond Build Help Needed!

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

anth.payne
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Pond Build Help Needed!

Post by anth.payne »

Hi all - I'm new to the forum and I am in need of a great deal of help and advice. I am an amateur at this and need some guidance with my pond build.

Just a bit background - I had put my pond building plans on hold, as I was intending on moving house, but now that me and the wife have decided to stay where we are for the next couple of year, I have decided to build a pond. It wont be as big as I would like, but I can live with that, as I will be building a new one when we move. It will be approx 1800g, which I will be putting in some smaller koi to grow on ready for when I build my next pond.

I already have a concrete hardstanding in the garden, at ground level, which I will be using as the foundation for my pond. Becuase it is ground level, I have decided I will only have it just over 3' deep (I know this is quite low but I will be running a heater on it to keep temps more stable).

Question 1: What shall I use for constructing the walls? Originally I was considering using 9" hollow block, but I was wondering whether 4" block would be sufficient for this depth? I wont be facing the outer walls, I will have only 1 course of block work.

Question 2: What filtration system? I've been doing alot of research on this and seem to have narrowed my results down to:

Kockney Koi 10000v
Oasis VorTec 20000 (or 16000)

These both appear to be more than capable filters for my pond with a fair price tag, but which is the better option.

When I build my new pond, I would be hoping to continue to use the filter, and just add an additional filter (like the nexus eazy).

Question 3 What other kit do you recommended? On my shopping list so far is:

* Oase Eco Aquamax 8000 (or cheaper alternative - recommendations welcome?) I like this as it will allow me to run a floating skimmer withour the need for an additional pump.
* A 30W UVC - or will this be too much?
* A 2kW Profi Heater
* An air pump (unsure on size?)

Question 4 I was considering converting the last chamber of the filter into a K1 fluid bed. I was wondering what considerations I may need to make to do this, other than ensuring the k1 media doesnt fall through the base grid and doesnt flow through the oulet pipes. I'm unsure what the dimensions are of the chamber in the above filters, but anticipating more than 50l of K1 will be required - what size air pump would be suitable for this?

Finally, would I benefit more from opting for a filter with a greater capacity, such as the KK 18000 or VorTec 30000?

Regards, Anthony
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: Pond Build Help Needed!

Post by carlejo »

1 4" blocks laid on their side will be sufficient, then render outside if you're not using face brick

2 probably best to have vortex system or Nexus 200 to save space

3 30w UV will be fine, profi heaters are not very good, better to get an elecro type/make, or can you not install a HX from existing central heating system in house ?

make sure you budget for what you want then add another 10-15%..... do it once, and do it properly.....do you have any links to the filters you're thinking of, eg prices.
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

....... and a skimmer is a must to take debris/dust/leaves/insects from surface of pond, and even better if this can then be put over/through a filter of some sorts. :wink:
anth.payne
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by anth.payne »

Kockney Koi Options

http://www.shinshiro-koi.co.uk/#1720X1735" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.shinshiro-koi.co.uk/#1720X1739" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oasis VorTec Options:

http://www.watergardeningdirect.com/acatalo ... lters.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
anth.payne
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by anth.payne »

Because when i move house i will be building a bigger pond - thus was contemplating getting a larger filter - or due to budget constraints, was thinking of getting the smaller size suitable for the 1800g, then add a nexus in the equation when i build the next pond...
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Anthony,

Go for the biggest and best filter you can as this is the heart and lungs of the pond and without this you can end up in all types of trouble :D

If i was you looking at the price of the 18000 i would go for a Nexus and if lucky you may be able to pick one up second had a bit cheaper and come to think of it Daz has one for sale so have a look at this one:

http://www.koiquest.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9080" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;