Pond Re-Build! Help Please!

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: Pond Re-Build! Help Please!

Post by Jon W »

I recently fibreglassed a pond of approx 2K gals. I got a kit which cost about £500 that included 2 x 450gm matting layers, 1tissue layer, resin and flowcoat. To be honest it probably wouldn't have cost much more for someone to do a professional job but where I live is pretty remote and it wouldn't have been worth someone's while to come all the way out here.

I was given loads of very good advice and went through everything time and time again before starting. It turned out ok but learning how to do something whilst on a job that could turn into a complete nightmare to rectify it it goes wrong is not ideal.

My advice would be to measure up the total area for glassing, get a few quotes and compare with material costs. I think you'll find that cost won't be that much different and it could save you a lot of grief. Mathew at GRP Lining Services would be a good person to start with for a quote.

Cheers

Jon
fishboyfishy
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by fishboyfishy »

So, I just thought I would give you an update on how it's all going.

Was meant to do the base a week or so ago, but the weather put a kybosh on that, and then the help that was offered never materialised.

Anyways, got the old man to give us a hand, he didn't work too bad for a old rust bucket!!! :lol:

Not as smooth as I'd aimed for but we ran out of concrete about 4 barrows from the end & had to make a mad dash for more ballast!!
Base pour 1.jpg
Base pour 1.jpg (22.39 KiB) Viewed 12193 times
the level of the base is approx 10mm below the top of the drain. My question is should I render the base so that the finish coat is level with the top or can this be higher.

Also what type of sand?, some say sharp others say builders. & should I put fibres in even if I'm having it fibreglassed.
Finished Base.jpg
Finished Base.jpg (21.44 KiB) Viewed 12191 times
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

You want builders or soft sand for rendering IMO as rendering with sharp sand is a PITA with all the little stones IME. Some of the builders on here may disagree though! I'd use the fibre reinforcement in it too. I'm not sure how vital it is to render first with fibreglass (I seem to remember someone on here not bothering) or you could use insulation instead to provide more heat retention instead.
ageinghippy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by ageinghippy »

I would suggest that you would want to have the rim of the drain flush/level with the concrete base. That way, the fish crap etc. will be able to be drawn into the drain system smoothly as it should do, without having to negotiate a step up.

A word of warning, be sure to put ALL the screws fully into the base before you finish your concreting, or you will find it incredibly frustrating having to try and drill out all the screw holes when the concret has set. I KNOW, as that is what I had to do 25 odd years ago when bottom drains first came out, and it still sticks in my mind !!! :lol:

Oh yes, something else, dip each screw in vasaline before putting them in, that will prevent the concrete from glueing them in place.

Chris (another one)
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

If Your having the pond fiberglassed,G4 or other pond paint, throw the screws away, they are only to be used on a liner pond. As for the render sand and cement 6 to 1 mix I wouldnt bother with fibers. You can use a sharp sand mix but is a bit more for the experianced hand. Personally I would screed the floor so the finish is flush with the top of Your drain, and then with a gentle incline to the walls giving You a basin effect. Use sharp sand on the floor.
Justin
Louie
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Louie »

Hi,
Thorny beat me to it! Screed the floor with sharp and use builders sand on the walls. My base only falls 3-4" from side to BD, but with the aerated bottom drain I don't ever seem to get a build up of muck on the bottom. I guess I have some slightly dead spots near the corners, but any waste that collects in them is minimal. Mind you...I only have 2400 gallons.
I think i'd be tempted to give it a go if I had to do a new build, but only because I've had the benefit of seeing a "Pro" working at first hand. (Bob'll like that... being called a Pro!!) :lol:
If you've got a pair of old dungarees that you can afford to throw away, and someone to mix up the fibreglass for you then it's definitely something that is within the capabilities of most people. I'd seek advice first, (maybe Bob Hart can help here) with regard to the weight of the sheeting required and the number of layers. I had one heavy weight layer with a layer of tissue on top to give a nice finish. And then a coat of Flo-coat. Very, very please with the end result!! :D :D :D
The obvious route to go down is to pay someone who's done it before... But if funds are short then I don't think you should discard the idea of doing it yourself. You may not get the "perfect" finish that a professional would give you, but I think you'd have to be VERY unlucky to mess things up.

Louie
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Thanks for the compliments Rob, I've been called a 'pro' before but I'm not sure it was due to fibreglassing!!!!!!!

You can buy the materials off of the Internet, but more expensive that us 'pro's get them for, and you may end up with a fair bit of waste. Happy to advise and supply internet links of where to buy the stuff from. Dont think you'l save too much though, but contact me if you want to know 'how' etc.
Louie
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Louie »

I know that when I got my first quote for having the pond glassed the guy wanted to charge me £600 for the job, and he said that it would take 2 days. Materials were about £200. So that was £200 per day for his labour charge. :shock: He didn't want me to help, and insisted on bringing along one of his own guys. I think that's where the biggest saving is to be made, on the labour cost. :)
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

my pond is nearly 4000g and it took one man approx 7-8 hours from start to finish and that included his 'breaks'.......2 days is a bit of an exageration IMHO.

When my mate Dave(dmb 0916 on this forum) was ready to glass his pond, three of us did it......a mate of ours who worked with fibreglass many times before did most of the laying up, I measured cut the matting and mixed resin/catalyst and Dave helped resin the walls and lay up matting, job is very professional and took us about 8 hours......it can be very easily done on the DIY route, but you have to be sure what your doing, make sure you do your homework.
Louie
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Louie »

Hi Carlejo.....

Yeah, 2 days was a bit excessive! Bob did it in 1 day on his own!

Mind you, he didn't stop. . . except to catch his breath now and again!! :lol: :lol:

Louie