Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

colin
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Hole Size

Post by colin »

Hi,
Can anybody help with a query I have? I need to put a hole in my quarantine tank for overflow, what size hole do I need to drill and what size overflow pipe/tank connector do I need? I will be trickling in RO water, but not sure of flow rate as yet? I was thinking 1inch?

Thanks in advance

Colin :)
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Hole Size

Post by Gazza »

Hi Colin,

I have 3/4 pressure pipe as mu overflows on both the main pond and QT and it seems to work well :)

I also piped them in lower than i wanted and then use a 90 bend and then i cut an angle on a piece of pipe so the water will drain away better and push that into the bend and did not stick them so i can replace with others if i ever need to raise or lower the levels of the pond :idea:

Hopefully these pictures may help:

As you can see i have also fitted a ball valve so it can be isolated.

As you can see with this the bend is much lower and the piece of pipe which is pushed into the bend and not stick so it can be removed:

colin
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by colin »

Nice one Gazza! :wink:
Some great photo's and nice neat pipe work. How's the re-working of your RO going? Too early to tell I guess?

Kind regards
Colin
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

Another option is the 22mm overflow pipe you can get from any DIY centre or online. It's cheap and easy to fit and you can get tank connectors with a bend that you can adjust to control the water height exactly. Cheaper than PVC too! You would find it hard to fix it into a PVC drain like Gazza's done though.

Here's an example from Screwfix, http://www.screwfix.com/cats/101311/Plu ... ste-System" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
colin
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by colin »

Hi Ed,
Yeah was thinking the type you suggest! Cheaper and all that... Plus I can run the waste pipe straight out to flowerbed or divert to drain in winter.

Thank you

Colin