Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Ammo Lock

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

I went to get some dechlor yesterday as im having to make regular water changes on my new qt. I found some ammo lock which says it acts as a dechlorinator but also makes any ammonia safe despite the fact it will still show on a test kit. Was just wondering if any one uses it and if it actually works???

Cheers Andy :D
Jagger
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Jagger »

Strange Andy I was reading a similar question on Koishack yesterday.

http://koishack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10528

Have a gander.
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Graham,

Makes an interesting read-still not sure if people think it works or not???

Am i right in thinking that it dechlorinates the water and makes the ammonia non toxic untill it is broken down by the bacteria in your filter???

Cheers Andy
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

Andy,
The reason for AmmoLock and Amquel is that Clorimines are often used (in the USA) in the place of Chlorine. Chlorimine is a mixture of chlorine and ammonia. It is much more effective in dissinfecting water than chlorine allone and does so al a lower dosage. The trouble is if you use a standard dechlorinator like sodiumthiosulfate the ammona remains free in the water and can cause to damage your fish. Thus one needs a product that tackles bothe chlorine AND ammonia.

B.Scott
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

Thanks for that-alot of info i have seen is from abroad so i guess that explains it. Am i right in thinking that it will be an ideal thing to use when setting up a new pond as it will help detoxifiy the amonia that is present due to a new filter though???

Cheers Andy
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

I've done it in the past in an emergency QT setup when the filter wasn't up to par. The problem is it is then hard to see how much of the ammonia is locked up and how much is free as the test kit still registers ammonia. One need to watch out especially with ammolock as it tends to be much more toxic compared to amquel.
I will work as a short term solution in any case but I would be hesitant to continue it for more than a week or so!.

B.Scott
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

Could cause a lot of trouble not knowing how much is safe amonia and how much is toxic. How is Amquel plus different-am i right in thinking it makes nitrite and nitrate safe in a similar way?

Cheers Andy :D
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

I'm not much of a chemist at all so I can't say the difference in the chemical formula between the two. But I remember Jeff "Roark" Human did some toxcicity tests on the two products maybe 8 yrs ago. Amquel won hands down!

These products detoxify chlorine and ammonia... nothing else. They will do nothing to change your nirites or nitrites.

B.Scott
Jagger
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Jagger »

Thing is,even if your water company adds chloramines (mine does) and you use a sodium thiosulphate based dechlorinator (most of them) then this will neutralise the chlorine element and release the ammonia element of the chloramine into the water.Unless you have remarkably accurate instruments you will not be able to detect the incredibly small amount ammonia thus produced.

A mature filter will eat it as readily as the ammonia produced by the fish.A brand spanking new filter won't therefore,by using a sodium thiosulphate dechlorinator, you are contributing slightly to the accumulation of ammonia in the system.Under these conditions you may consider it worth while binding the ammonia and nitrite with a hugely expensive dechlorinator like Amquel Pond Plus.You will have to use it for several weeks for total peace of mind until the nitrate levels start to show a serious upward trend.Then you can be sure that the filter is mature and you can revert to a cheaper dechlor.

Other things to watch out for when using the binder type dechlorinators is,apparently, a massive drop in ORP readings and a degradation of the alkalinity (reportedly a very large,fast swing downwards in kh).So it's all about balancing the varying actions and reactions just the same as normal water keeping.

By far the best way to help your QT would be to increase the filtration and use mature media from the pond to get things moving rapidly.

Try a read of this thread,last post.
http://koivet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2 ... t=ammolock

If you really want a mind provoking read then try this one.A beaut but a long read.
http://koivet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21627
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

Koivet? Are those the guys with the rocks in the pond? :?

B.Scott
Jagger
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Jagger »

Scott,

That is a very childish comment.
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

Yeah I know. I'm a bad boy sorry :(