Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Vortex size

Post by Jon W »

Hi Guys

This is one of those questions that I feel I should know the answer but in honestly am guessing!

I have a pond of 2000gals. I want to run a standard gravity fed vortex as the first stage in mechanical filtration. I am using a Aquamax 10000 for a pump.

My question is what is the minimum size vortex that will operate reasonably efficiently. At present I have 2 available

- a Kockney Koi one which 26" diam (incidently these are advertised as 30" but they're not!) by 42" high
- a 30" diam by 32" high custom job.

Do you think either big enough to be reasonably efficient given the flow rate of approx 1,8000 gals per hour? If not, what size do you recommend.

Regards

Jon
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: Vortex size

Post by carlejo »

I would go for the biggest diameter you can get.... it will create a slower flow in vortex and give a little more time for solids to settle out, although depends how much solids you have.

You couls possibly do what I've done, as follows

I have 2 x vortices as main settlement. First one is 36" diam and bits still go through believe it or not!!
To combat this I got a piece of 4"pipe(attached to 4" slide valve) and drilled hundreds of holes in it and then wrapped around a 2m long filter brush around it. Then I placed a 4" filter brush down the central tube, basically it's to stop as much crap going to next stage as possible, it needs jetwashing every other day......... next stage is 100 ltrs of static K1, I clean(aerate) that every other day as well, an completey take it all out once a month and rinse it all.

It works a treat
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Carl

Haven't heard of the filter brush/perforated pipe combination before, but it sounds like a good idea.

If it's not a rude question, where do you stick your perforated 4" pipe? Do you have it attached to a central outlet from the first vortex. The 3 vortexes I have all have side exhausts, but I'm sure I would rig something up that would do a similar job.

Regards

Jon
daz2007
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by daz2007 »

hi this is my vortex on 2200 gallon pond 36" diam vortex and the water is crystal clear all year.
i have used static k1 in the centre

[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/daz2007/63801_filters.jpg[/img]

and the bottom 5 foot deep and clear

[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/daz2007/78137_DSCF0035.JPG[/img]
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Daz

It all looks efficient and tidy. What is the black container used and how did you modify it to let water through without the K1 escaping?

Cheers

Jon
daz2007
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by daz2007 »

the black container is a sump for a water feature these can be bought separate for around a tenner
then i cut slots in it all the way around and on the bottom with a router took a while but worth it
i then used speedfit plastic pipe to make air ring in the bottom of the sump this makes it easy to
clean just turn the air on and have a cuppa for 10 mins then flush the whole vortex and refill job done.
daz2007
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by daz2007 »

just found this pic to give you an idea

[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/daz2007/51937_Easy.jpg[/img]